1. Significant opportunities to export fruit to China
According to China Customs information: in 2018, China’s fruit imports totaled about 4.856 million tons, with imports of nearly $6.945 billion, up 25.91% and 36.48%, respectively. Against the backdrop of the overall slowdown in China’s economic growth, the fresh fruit industry is still showing extremely strong development vitality.
In 2018, the top five countries in terms of fruit exports to China were, in order, Chile ($1.682 billion, ↑68.40% year-on-year), Thailand ($1.662 billion, ↑66.95% year-on-year), Philippines ($731 million, ↑41.95% year-on-year), Vietnam ($719 million, ↑12.32% year-on-year), and New Zealand ($442 million, ↑25.14% year-on-year). As in previous years, the “race to the top” is still on between Chile and Thailand, with their respective exports accounting for 24.23 per cent and 23.93 per cent of China’s total imports, respectively. As a result of trade frictions, U.S. fruit exports to China were $269 million, down 31.09 percent year-over-year, and the share fell from 7.68 percent in 2017 to 3.88 percent in 2018.
In terms of exports to China, Vietnam (1.292 million tons, ↑9.72%), Philippines (1.614 million tons, ↑37.61%), Thailand (767,500 tons, ↑49.55%), Chile (387,700 tons, ↑52.43%) and Ecuador (240,500 tons, ↑44.42%) were the top five. The export volumes of Vietnam and the Philippines widened the gap between them, accounting for 25.32% and 23.92% of China’s total imports respectively.
Analyzed from the latitude of the category, the top five fruit products ranked by import amount are fresh cherries ($1.303 billion, ↑69.42%), fresh durian ($1.095 billion, ↑98.35%), bananas ($897 million, ↑54.84%), fresh lift ($586 million, ↓0.31%), fresh orange ($437 million, ↑14.39%).
The top five fruits in terms of import volume were bananas (1.546 million tons, ↑48.65%), fresh durian (431,900 tons, ↑92.50%), fresh oranges (390,000 tons, ↑8.96%), fresh lift (231,700 tons, ↓0.97%) and fresh watermelon (219,900 tons, ↑16.79%).
2. Significant demand for imported cherries in the Chinese market
In recent years, with the continuous development of world cherry production and the upgrading of our consumption, our country’s cherry imports have expanded dramatically. According to customs data, in 2018, China imported a total of 186,000 tons of cherries, the total amount of imports reached $1.31 billion, up 83% and 69% year-on-year, respectively, ranking first in fresh fruit imports.In the 2019/2020 season, China’s cherry imports will continue to set a new record, reaching 190,000 tons. It continues to increase at a rate of almost 10,000 tons per year.
2. Main fruits imported by China.
Bananas: Central America, Philippines, Vietnam, Uganda, Taiwan
Blueberries: Canada, Chile
Cherries: Chile, South America, Australia, Bulgaria
Dragon fruit: Vietnam, Taiwan, China
Pineapple: Thailand, Philippines, Taiwan, China
Watermelon: Malaysia, Vietnam, Myanmar
3. Countries from which Chinese cherries are mainly imported
The main countries of origin of our cherry imports are Chile, the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Argentine cherries were also officially approved to enter the country in January 2019. Customs data show that in 2018, our country’s largest source country for imported cherries was Chile, with a total import volume of 163,000 tons, followed by the United States 14,000 tons, and the third largest country was Canada, with 0.5 million tons. The total amount of cherries imported from the above three countries accounts for 98.4 per cent of our total cherry imports.
4. Cherry market prices and consumption prospects
In recent years, the 80, 90 young generation has gradually become the main consumer of the market, they generally have a certain spending power, pay more attention to the quality of life, the demand for medium and high-end fruit is rising. The quality, sweet and sour, and nutritious cherries became their favorites. To meet consumer demand, Chinese growers have begun to replace existing cherry varieties with varieties that are more in line with current Chinese consumer demand.
High fruit prices since 2019 have also pushed up cherry prices. Despite increased yields and reduced fruit size, there has been a price increase. In the Yantai region of Shandong, the farm price of plum date cherries is 40-50 yuan per kilogram, up 20 percent from the previous year.
The rapid growth in demand for cherries has prompted e-commerce companies to work with suppliers to strengthen marketing and improve logistics. This combination has led to faster growth in third- and fourth-tier cities. As production increases and the supply season lengthens, so does the consumption of Chinese cherries, and this rapidly increasing demand shows the great potential of imported cherries.
5. Risks associated with exporting fruit to China
(1) High port and miscellaneous costs, reefer, demurrage and electricity
(2) Requirements for the quality of goods
(3) Market, seize the market, enter first.
6. Import procedures for fruit imports in China
I. Specific import procedures.
(1) Should know whether the fruit to be imported is within the list of permitted fruit imports, specific reference can be made to the AQSIQ website “China’s permitted inbound fruit types and export countries / regions”.
(2) If the fruit to be imported is included in the list of permitted fruit imports, it shall be judged whether the fruit variety is permitted to enter from a certain port, and at present the port can import all permitted fruit varieties imported into China. If imported from other ports, please consult your local inspection and quarantine bureau.
(3) before importing fruit, should apply for quarantine approval and obtain “import animal and plant quarantine permit”.
Import of fruit into China customs clearance process
II. Approval process
The proposed import of fruit from a port for approval, the first trial by the local bureau, the State Administration of Quality Supervision and Inspection is responsible for the final review. The approval is done online and the time frame for the entire workflow is 20 working days. Enterprises for online quarantine approval should pay attention to.
(1) Approval shall be given before the contract is signed.
(2) The applicant enterprise shall be the consignee and the contracting party.
(3) Apply for electronic key or purchase login software through Nine City Software for the first time for online approval.
(4) The permit is valid for a period of six months.
(5) Imports may be made only from the approved entry point.
III. Precautions for imported fruits
(1) Fruits should come from ****** sources, orchards and packing plants.
(2) the fruit packing boxes should be marked or have a logo indicating the name of the fruit, the origin, the name of the packing plant or the code.
(3) Fruit varieties shall be consistent with the contents of the permit, the quantity shall not exceed the permitted quantity, and no unapproved fruit varieties shall be entrained.
(4) Fruits should be free of soil, branches, leaves and dangerous pests such as diseases, insects and weeds of concern to China.
(5) the content of pesticide residues, heavy metals and other toxic and harmful substances in fruits should comply with Chinese national standards.
(6) Process official phytosanitary certificates of exporting countries/regions. Note: If shipped in containers, the container number should be reflected on the certificate; the consignee on the certificate and the consignee and the person entering into the trade contract on the processed Animal and Plant Quarantine Entry Permit should be the same; if a bilateral agreement requires a special declaration on the certificate, this should be stated.
(7) Where bilateral agreements have special requirements, they shall be implemented in accordance with bilateral protocols.
7. Information required for customs declaration and inspection of imported fruit
(1) Original bill of lading, copies.
(2) Bill of lading
(3) Box list
(6) Certificate of origin
(7) Phytosanitary certificate
(9) Packaging statement
(10) Inspection letters of attorney
(11) Documents required for special quarantine (cold treatment or heat treatment certificate)
(12) fruit also has electronic regulatory entry, wait for the inspection system appears 0144 return receipt, before sending, receive return receipt, the regulatory system with a T return receipt, quarantine bureau can receive, convenient for future statistics, access inspection certificate.